Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 12:52:38 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: SSH thread-safety

magnum, Jim, Dhiru -

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 12:55:36PM +0530, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
> Clean 1.7.9 switches between top two self-test vectors (other vectors
> are tried twice or thrice only). In comparison, jumbo uses only top
> self-test vector ( (other vectors are tried once). Tested with MD5
> crypt.

You mean salts, not entire test vectors.  It is as expected that clean
1.7.9 uses just the first two salts when benchmarking.  Jumbo's use of
only one salt is a bug.  My guess is that it's been introduced along
with support for -1000 and -1001 for BENCHMARK_LENGTH.  Can one of you
look into this, please?

Thanks,

Alexander