Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 11:35:47 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: bash auto-completion for john

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 08:58:48AM +0200, magnum wrote:
> On 05/08/2012 08:11 AM, magnum wrote:
> > BTW for easier implementation of dynamic completion we could add hidden
> > options to john. For example, "john --list-rules" and "john
> > --list-ext-modes". This would make realtime loading easier,
> > automatically following .include directives and so on. It should also
> > support "john --conf=other.conf --list-rules".
>
> Of course, we should also support dynamic completion of --format. I
> suppose this wont need any hidden option, we already get a parsable list
> from john with no options.

Yes, it is parsable. I used
john | perl -nle '$f = 0 if /^--/; $f = 1 if /^--format/; print $1 while m!([-\w\(\)]+)(/|$)!g && $f'
to get list from John's output for Johnny. It watches for --format key, then
it prints all words (with dashes and digits, and even braces) followed by
slash or end of line until it reaches any other key.

But I did it as part of manual list preparation, after it I did manually
checked the list. I think when other lists will be available as options it
would be nice to have an option for that list too.

Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov