Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 08:11:25 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: bash auto-completion for john

On 05/08/2012 02:27 AM, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> Proper bash completion support for john needs much more effort.
>
> But here is a first humble attempt to support expansion of option names
> and expansion of file names for options --wordlist=, --config=, --pot=,
> and --make-charset= (the last option probably should be ignored, to make
> accidentally overwriting files harder).

Great, I'll try it out. This will be very convenient as-is, especially
for new users that don't remember all options.

I suppose an intermediate step towards perfection could be to hard-code
rules and external modes that are included in JtR per default.

BTW for easier implementation of dynamic completion we could add hidden
options to john. For example, "john --list-rules" and "john
--list-ext-modes". This would make realtime loading easier,
automatically following .include directives and so on. It should also
support "john --conf=other.conf --list-rules".

I suppose we should add a make target that just copies src/bash to
/etc/bash_completion.d/ and mention this in some documentation file. Oh
btw, did you ever try "make lin" and two TABs? Look at
/etc/bash_completion.d/make to see how it's done. Not that I understand
a word of it :)

magnum