Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 01:59:25 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: New RAR OpenCL kernel

On 05/05/2012 02:09 AM, Milen Rangelov wrote:
> Well, there are two cases here, a PPM block or a LZ block. The PPM case
> would very quickly give you an error if stream is invallid and unpack29
> would switch back to the pure LZSS case.

Do you mean you modified something in unpack29 for this case? When I
debugged it I got the impression it already rejects properly in this case.

> Then for Lempel-Ziv  it's highly
> unlikely that you'd get the same result from rar_decode_number()  several
> times at a row unless the stream is bad. The key point here being "several"
> and that's where  my concerns are.

Nice. I tested a little and I've seen the same result at most 26 times
in a row for a valid stream while bad streams can have several hundreds.
The question is what threshold would be safe...

I think I'll have a look at Jim's pkzip code again, maybe something in
there is usable for the LZ case.

magnum