Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 01:13:35 +0300
From: Milen Rangelov <gat3way@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: New RAR OpenCL kernel

>  The funny thing is I got the same 4400 c/s anyway. It
>> got better in theory (less suggestions from the tool) but in practice it
>> stayed the same. For GTX580 I'm using 8192 now since higher figures
>> don't make any difference.

It's not that funny (you probably have the same problem as me). I have that
problem with my progress indicator eheh. The kernel is executing so slow, I
don't know how do you manage it in JTR but I guess it's something similar.
I have a thread that wakes up each 3 seconds and displays the speed based
on candidates tried in that time interval. A kernel invocation takes
usually 1-2 seconds and it tries say a ndrange of 128*128 candidates. Well
speed usually goes around the same 128*128*(1 or 2) value. You can't even
measure current speed in a *nice* way. That's why I am thinking of
introducing an "average speed" for my program, it would be much more
realistic for cases like the rar one :)

Content of type "text/html" skipped