Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 13:17:24 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: New RAR OpenCL kernel

On 04/22/2012 04:26 AM, Rich Rumble wrote:
> This site keeps coming up here http://www.golubev.com/igprs/ ... had a
> blog post about properly powering and then tweaking the settings of
> the GPU of a 6990: http://www.golubev.com/blog/?p=210

He confirms that RAR is very hard to write in GPU and that different
cards need completely different algorithms. Maybe I chose a bad first
experiment :)

> it's possible
> that Nvidia or other ATI models aren't running at full speed by
> default or for some HW reason...?

For mobile devices like the one I tested, this is even more plausible. A
full size computer can easily have a kilo-watt power supply, and a
laptop PS is less than a tenth of that. Also, cooling in a laptop is not
comparable to a full size tower case...

But then why did they put a GPU in a laptop in the first place? Marketing?

magnum