Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 21:50:26 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: cl_khr_byte_addressable_store

On 04/20/2012 09:32 PM, Milen Rangelov wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 7:17 PM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:
>> On 04/20/2012 05:12 PM, Lukas Odzioba wrote:
>>> We will have to add:
>>> #pragma OPENCL EXTENSION cl_khr_byte_addressable_store: enable
>>> to kernel for NVIDIA devices (tested on gtx460).
>>
>> By the way, this was just now added to RAR too. If I'm really lucky this
>> fixes it for 7970.
>>
>> I had no idea this was required until a couple of days ago and my cards
>> do fine without it (thus violating the spec. as I read it).
>
> Don't use that extension, at least not on AMD. You would be surprised with
> the result. It's just bad. I'd rather do some bitwise macros, they work
> almost equally well on Nvidia and AMD. Byte addressable stores are a big
> disaster especially for vectorized code.

That is confusing and even worse I trust you so this sounds pretty bad.
Are you effectively saying I really should not write to char pointers
inside any kernel? I have played with the thought of getting rid of that
but it would get pretty silly for the inner loop of RAR - or use a
sh!tload of registers.

magnum