Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 23:38:56 -0400
From: Richard Farina <sidhayn@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: WPA-PSK format

On 04/13/12 21:46, Solar Designer wrote:
> Lukas,
I do NOT speak for the aircrack-ng team officially, but I am a member.

> How about some quoting for those who might find your messages in the
> list archives much later? ;-)
>
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 03:09:00AM +0200, Lukas Odzioba wrote:
>> 1) Aircrack does not have gpu support.
> Yes, that's what I thought too.  (Disclaimer: I never used it.)
>
> We can and should have both CPU and GPU support.
That would be most welcome, right now the only gpu projects which
support wpa are pyrit (dead) and oclhashcat (closed source).

>> 2) If aircrack can do it on cpu, and people are using it with john,
>> there is no need for cpu wpapsk version in john?
> No, there is: to simplify things for those people (one tool to use
> instead of two), provide ability to interrupt/restore sessions with no
> candidate passwords inadvertently skipped because of buffering, and
> improve performance (JtR's format might eventually become faster).
There are many reasons why this is good, right now we advocate using
john to generate a wordlist to crack against, no point in piping the
output from john into aircrack-ng when you can likely build a much
faster cracker anyway.

>> 3) Do you think that we should abandon this format? - not a problem for me
> No.  On the contrary, I think that it is a desirable addition.  Thank
> you for your work on it!
I agree, please don't abandon your work.

I believe what needs to be done is a way to simplify cracking wpa with
john.  oclhashcat has some odd format it wants, a patch was accepted to
aircrack-ng to output that file:

aircrack-ng -J [hccap_name] [cap_clean_file]

I would happily extend to you the same courtesy, if you find that the
hashcat output format is unacceptable.  I would also be willing to
(attempt to) negotiate a format change so you could share an input
format with hashcat and I don't need to have different output formats.

Thanks for your hard work, we are all pleased so please do not feel
deterred.

-Zero_Chaos