Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 16:16:45 +0530
From: SAYANTAN DATTA <std2048@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenCL tests on GTX 570

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> I think not intentionally, but it is common for OpenCL implementations
> to be slower than CUDA implementations of the same things.

May or may not, because I just read at one of hascat's wiki page that a
well optimized ocl code for nv gpus runs 15% slower than the cuda
implementation.
http://hashcat.net/wiki/oclhashcat_catalyst_forceware

Yes, or at least some tuning will be needed to get this to run faster.

> With Lukas' CUDA code, I actually get similar speed to the above without
> tuning, but it increases to 29k c/s with very minor tuning (THREADS and
> BLOCKS settings, target architecture setting for the compiler).

No doubt it would require some nv specific optimizations but in my last
performance update I have made some optimizations that are common to both
nv and AMD.  Hope it runs well on both architecture.

Sayantan

Content of type "text/html" skipped