Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:37:05 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: MSCash2 formats reliability & usability

On 04/12/2012 08:20 AM, SAYANTAN DATTA wrote:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> user@...l:~/john/magnum-jumbo/run$ cat pw
>> test:a86012faf7d88d1fc037a69764a92cac
>>

> Could you please tell me whether the 'test' string is a password or
> username?Currently my implementation uses the default prepare() function. I
> think this is the reason behind this problem. Also it would be greatly
> helpful if you could explain the use of char *split_fields[10] argument in
> this function.

"test" is a username. Off the top of my head, prepare() is needed in
this case for taking the username in this input-file-syntax
representation, and turn it into the internal ciphertext representation
of $DCC2$10240#test#a86012faf7d88d1fc037a69764a92cac. Only prepare() is
able to do this, because no other functions will ever get the username
(or any other fields than the second of the colon-separated fields) from
an input file.

prepare() gets split_fields[] with all fields from the input file. For a
normal unix hash of user:hash:uid:gid:gecos:etc... it will see the
username as split_fields[0], the hash as split_fields[1] etc.

prepare() is also used for accepting non-standard input formats, like in
NT_fmt where we can read pwdump-style input (user:uid:lmhash:nthash:...)
and turn it into john-style ciphertext of user:hash

magnum