Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 12:12:39 +0200
From: Simon Marechal <simon@...quise.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bitslice des

On 11/04/2012 10:57, Deepika Dutta Mishra wrote:
> I read the mailing lists, I will take up one of the algorithm soon.
> Right now I am going through the DES BS code. Have you compared your
> code to openssl implementation (which is not bit sliced)? How much speed
> up has it given? I ran the test on my system, for DES I have following
> result. I could not understand the meaning of the result, I mean how you
> calculate c/s, what is real/virtual and how to relate c/s to
> encryptions/sec.
>
> Benchmarking: Traditional DES [32/32 BS]... DONE
> Many salts:    439104 c/s real, 1514K c/s virtual
> Only one salt:    433184 c/s real, 1353K c/s virtual

Real refers to how many checks/seconds were computed during the time the
benchmark was run. Virtual is some calculation on how much it could be
if JtR was able to seize all CPU resources. When in doubt you will want
to run this on an idle system and only trust the "real" value.

A check uses 25 DES encryptions. You can also check the LM format.