Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 22:29:44 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: SHA-256 and SHA-512 implementations

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 12:09:06PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 02:05:02AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> > http://eprint.iacr.org/2012/067.pdf
> >
> > Besides a novel idea of how a single SHA-2 digest may be computed with a
> > SIMD parallelized implementation of the compression function
>
> Upon a closer look, I was wrong about that: they parallelize message
> scheduling, not the compression function.
>
> > (great, but
> > not needed for JtR in particular), this paper gives actual pieces of
> > code with SSSE3 and AVX2 intrinsics (separately).  No license, though.
> > I might e-mail the authors.
>
> I just did.

I heard back.  They're submitting the patch for inclusion in OpenSSL:

http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=2784&user=guest&pass=guest

if accepted, it will be available under OpenSSL's license.  There's also
a patent application involved, although as far as I understood the
authors intend to issue free licenses upon request.  I think these
things will hamper adoption, unfortunately.  Luckily, this is of little
relevance for JtR specifically since we'll need to be computing several
independent hashes in parallel instead.

Alexander