Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 16:10:54 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GSoC project - collaborative and distibuted cracking tool (suitable for the contest)

Frank, Aleksey -

On Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 03:56:08PM +0400, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 07:43:21AM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> > On 03/23/2012 03:19 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> > > Since the time I participated in CrackMeIfYouCan the idea to make
> > > john-users team to win it is stuck to me.
> > [...]
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > I think it's OK that your motivation to contribute to JtR during this
> > year's GSoC has been provoked by last year's CrackMeIfYouCan participation.
> >
> > But for the GSoC project, the focus should be on features which are
> > relevant to JtR usage beyond a CrackMeIfYouCan contest.
>
> That is totally right.

Thank you for discussing this!  Unfortunately, I have no time for it
myself right now, but I like this project idea and I appreciate your
efforts on it.  So please continue with it.

Here's a request: please move these discussions from john-dev to
john-users.  Frank - maybe you simply re-post your message in response
to Aleksey's posting on john-users.  Aleksey - maybe you re-reply to
Frank on john-users then? ;-)

john-dev is for discussing JtR source code changes, whereas john-users
may be more appropriate for proposing user-visible features, etc.  For a
long time, we lived without a john-dev list at all (we only had
john-users), and the only topics that did not fit john-users, but do fit
john-dev now, were those involving JtR source code change discussions -
stuff that was confusing, uninteresting, and irrelevant to end users.

FYI, there are about 120 subscribers on john-dev and about 1200 on
john-users.  (The actual ratio may be a bit less than 10x, though, since
john-users is older and likely has more abandoned addresses on it.  If
any address is bouncing mail, it gets unsubscribed, so those are not
included in these numbers, though.)

I think this project idea could benefit from the extra feedback we might
potentially receive from the wider audience on john-users.

Thanks,

Alexander