Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 07:43:21 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GSoC project - collaborative and distibuted cracking
 tool (suitable for the contest)

Hi Aleksey,

On 03/23/2012 03:19 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> Since the time I participated in CrackMeIfYouCan the idea to make
> john-users team to win it is stuck to me.
[...]
> What do you think?

I think it's OK that your motivation to contribute to JtR during this
year's GSoC has been provoked by last year's CrackMeIfYouCan participation.

But for the GSoC project, the focus should be on features which are
relevant to JtR usage beyond a CrackMeIfYouCan contest.

There are enough similarities in requirements for a cracking contest and
for reaL-life cracking scenarios, e.g.: supporting the need to
efficiently collect and analyze the results and log files from
distributed cracking sessions or a team of pen-testers working together,
to determine the direction of further cracking attempts based on
previous results, and so on.

If, in the end, your contribution during the GSoC helps the John the
Ripper team win this year's contest, I wouldn't mind ;)

Frank