Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 02:18:47 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: RAR OpenCL committed to git

On 04/04/2012 01:59 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 01:46:55AM +0200, magnum wrote:
>> BTW when converting to EVP I just implemented the thread-locking
>> callbacks that Dhiru first used in the ssh format. In RAR I haven't seen
>> any regression like you were discussing then.
>
> Are the callbacks ever called (in your case)?  I'd expect the AES stuff
> to be too simple to need any locking.

They sure are, but I have no idea if they are really needed:

init_locks()
lock_callback(9, 2, ex_data.c, 203)
lock_callback(10, 2, ex_data.c, 206)
lock_callback(9, 2, ex_data.c, 270)
lock_callback(10, 2, ex_data.c, 274)
lock_callback(9, 2, ex_data.c, 304)
lock_callback(10, 2, ex_data.c, 325)
lock_callback(5, 2, ex_data.c, 413)
lock_callback(6, 2, ex_data.c, 424)
lock_callback(9, 30, eng_list.c, 284)
lock_callback(10, 30, eng_list.c, 291)
lock_callback(9, 30, eng_lib.c, 116)
lock_callback(10, 30, eng_lib.c, 116)
lock_callback(9, 1, err.c, 295)
lock_callback(10, 1, err.c, 298)
thread_id()
lock_callback(9, 1, err.c, 446)
lock_callback(10, 1, err.c, 458)
lock_callback(9, 1, err.c, 446)
lock_callback(10, 1, err.c, 458)
lock_callback(9, 1, err.c, 513)

Some 55,000 of these for a two-core OpenCL-CPU self-test.

magnum