Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 21:43:16 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR: GPU for slow hashes

On 04/02/2012 06:33 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 09:59:15PM +0530, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 9:47 PM, SAYANTAN DATTA <std2048@...il.com> wrote:
>>> While running the benchmark I get the following error after a few seconds:
>>> ../../../thread/semaphore.cpp:87: sem_wait() failed
>>> aborted
>>
>> Are you using AMD APP SDK 2.6? This is a known issues with version
>> 2.6. Downgrade to 2.5 and try again.
>
> FWIW, as discussed in here before, downgrading did not help in my case,
> but setting OS_TIMER to 0 did.
>
> I think magnum has since set OS_TIMER to 0 in x86-64.h, but not in
> x86-sse.h.  We need to change that to only set OS_TIMER to 0 when
> building with OpenCL support with AMD SDK specifically (since OS_TIMER 1
> is preferable when we can have it), but to do it from both header files.

I was planning to do it for mingw but I haven't yet changed any arch.h.
On the other hand, I've been running AMD 2.6 for a week now and only saw
this sem_wait() fail once (but I only occasionally test with that
platform - different OpenCL compilers give different clues to problems!)

We should have a ticket system. Maybe I'll just add a crude to-do list
to the wishlist wiki page for now, with things like this that need to be
looked into.

magnum