Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 04:17:23 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Office support in JtR, progress report

Hi Dhiru,

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 11:17:13PM +0530, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
> I am currently working on implementing support for cracking Office 2007
> files in JtR. One recent progress I made was to find and use libgsf library
> to dump the EncryptionInfo OLE stream. Is that specific stream is all that
> is needed to crack office encryption? (my guess is yes).

I have no idea.

> After office2john is done using libgsf, my plan is to convert C# source at
> http://www.lyquidity.com/devblog/?p=35  to C to implement office_fmt_plug.c.

Sounds good.  I guess some of that stuff will fall under LGPLv2 then.

BTW, I noticed that you forgot(?) to include any copyright and license
statements on some of your recent contributions.  I understand that when
you reuse code from another project, you may have to keep your changes
to those same source files under that project's license (if copyleft).
So you should merely add yourself as an extra copyright holder for the
derivative works (the edited source files).  However, for brand new
source files that you write from scratch, please do include our usual
copyright+license statement as suggested here:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/licensing

Please go over your recent contributions (stuff that was not in
1.7.9-jumbo-5, but is in magnum-jumbo) and add the proper statements to
the individual source files, and please be more careful about this for
further contributions (including the Office stuff).

Thanks,

Alexander