Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 04:40:32 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: rawsha256.cu patch(using shared memory)

Lukas -

Thank you for your help with the discussions around GSoC.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 05:51:40PM +0200, Lukas Odzioba wrote:
> I should have somewhere old version much faster than that.

Oh, old version.  This explains the faster benchmarks on the wiki.
Why don't you get that faster version into magnum-jumbo, then?  Does the
new version have some other advantage?

> Attacking worst optimized format is not a good idea if you want show
> your abilities.

I guess myrice was not aware that this was considered the worst
optimized format, and going after a low hanging fruit makes sense in
many cases (maybe not to show one's abilities, though).

> First of all you must decide will you apply for slow, or fast hashes.
> Those are DIFFERENT tasks with different needs.

Yes, but I'm fine with people trying both briefly to get a better
feeling of that. ;-)  Otherwise they won't make an informed decision on
what to apply for.

> Please do not post multiple results for the same format, choose top1
> or avg  if you want.

BTW, the relbench script may be used to compare two sets of results
(with multiple invocations of each version of the program):

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2011/12/14/1

(this demonstrates it for an OpenMP setting, but the same approach can
be applied to different source code revisions and CUDA/OpenCL).

For these highly unoptimized formats, we're looking for such major
differences in speed that this fine benchmarking is not necessary,
though.  So raw output should better be posted.

Alexander