Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 18:03:51 -0600
From: RB <aoz.syn@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Research ideas.

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 17:33, Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com> wrote:
> I've asked on the University, they accepted this idea. This summer I
> would like to focus on performance for existing formats and adding 2-3
> new formats (suggestions are welcomed).

Blowfish ($2) on a GPU.  It's not terribly common but is agonizingly
slow compared to pretty much all the rest of the algorithms, saving
perhaps RAR.  :)  Although my W3565 (soon to change) benches around 2k
c/s with 4 OMP threads, against a single hash I'm seeing at most 100
c/s.  This makes even simple dictionary runs a practice in patience.

Beyond that, more container formats are always welcome, it's been nice
to see JtR adding the various pieces of functionality we used to have
to go elsewhere for - zip, pdf, etc.  Perhaps Truecrypt or some of the
password lockers like KeePass or Password Safe.  7-zip as well, I'd
love to see them all here one day.