Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:33:50 +0100
From: Dominique Heer <dominique.heer@...ine.de>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [GSoc] JtR GUI

Hi Alexander,
according to your e-mail, we continue our discussion about JtR GUI and
GSoC 2012 in the mailing list now.

It seems like several incomplete approaches for a GUI are existing, for
example Aleksey's or Shinnok's, and I'm a little bit confused which of
them is the one we want to continue working on. I took a look at
Shinnoks GUI called 'johnny' and found it quite promising (and I
referred to it in my last mail, sorry if you were talking about
something different), although it is somehow 'too much'.

However, I now understand the performance issue, and it is also an issue
of clearness: in my opinion, when the user loads one million hashes or
even more, it doesn't make very much sense to show them all in a single
table. Maybe we can use some kind of sorting or a hierachical tree view
(as shown here:
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/images/windowsxp-treeview.png) that
allows the user to expand and collapse certain rows. Don't know if Qt
supports this and if its easy to implement ...

Regards,
Dominique