Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 02:13:21 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: RAR format finally proper

On 03/07/2012 11:37 PM, magnum wrote:
> On 03/06/2012 08:11 AM, Milen Rangelov wrote:
>> As per AES/OpenSSL, I read somewhere they implemented runtime AES-NI
>> detection/use. Though I don't think this have made it into the debian
>> packages I use yet. It might improve things a lot.
>
> Yeah interesting, it can decrypt a byte in 2 cycles instead of 15... I
> suppose you could try using the code supplied by Intel at the end of
> this PDF: http://software.intel.com/file/24917 - it even mimics the
> OpenSSL interfaces.

It seems my standard Ubuntu OpenSSL 1.0.0e has AES-NI configured and
enabled out of the box so maybe this is nothing to worry about? I'll
benchmark it later on a CPU that actually supports it.

Anyway here's a better "version" (the one above is source code in PDF
form) of that Intel library, if we ever need one:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/download-the-intel-aesni-sample-library/

magnum