Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 03:08:48 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CUDA & OpenCL status

On 03/04/2012 02:55 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
> Thanks for fixing.  BTW, should we possibly add these lines:
>
> NVIDIA_CUDA = /usr/local/cuda
> #ATISTREAMSDKROOT = /opt/AMDAPP
>
> to the Makefile?
>
> If not, then where are these settings supposed to come from?

I never had to do anything like that. Possibly we should document (on a
wiki page) how we set up stuff and why. But this is very platform
dependant stuff.

>> Using gcc 4.6, I never hit it.
>
> Oh, I have to use gcc 4.5 for CUDA-enabled builds, because nvcc says it
> does not like 4.6.  Luckily, Ubuntu still provides that version as well,
> so I did:
>
> apt-get install gcc-4.5 g++-4.5
>
> Then created symlinks named just gcc and g++ in my ~/john directory and
> pointing to /usr/bin/gcc-4.5 and /usr/bin/g++-4.5.  I prepend ~/john to
> PATH for those builds.

For 2.5 I had to symlink /ust/bin/gcc-4.4 to /usr/local/cuda/bin/gcc.
After that, no problemos.

> We'll need to document known issues and workarounds like this on some
> wiki page, even though they're not specific to JtR.

Definitely. If nothing else, it will show people how easy it is to set a
system up for CUDA and OpenCL - including just OpenCL with CPU only. I
thought there would be a lot more problems.

magnum