Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 21:54:23 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: intel OpenCL (for CPU) "review"

I had a look at Intel's OpenCL SDK today. This one makes your Intel CPU
(or better, all CPUs and cores) work just like a GPU with OpenCL. For
some odd reason it does not support any of Intel's GPUs yet.

To my utter surprise, it installed without pain and worked like a champ
with the first OpenCL formats I tried. Performance is actually better
than our (thin dynamic) SSE2 version. I'm not sure how optimised the
latter is. Anyway this was on my three years old Core2 Duo laptop. I
really did not expect that.

$ ../run/john -test -fo:phpass-opencl
OpenCL Platforms: 1
OpenCL Platform: <<<Intel(R) OpenCL>>> 1 device(s), using device:
<<<Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P8600  @ 2.40GHz>>>
Compilation log: Build started
Kernel <phpass> was successfully vectorized
Done.
Optimal Group work Size = 4
Benchmarking: PHPASS-OPENCL [PORTABLE-MD5]... DONE
Raw:	17388 c/s real, 8735 c/s virtual

$ ../run/john -test -fo:phpass-md5
Benchmarking: PHPass MD5 [SSE2i 2x4x3]... DONE
Raw:	15936 c/s real, 15778 c/s virtual

However, it turned out I was lucky picking phpass - all other OpenCL
formats emits warnings like "Kernel <cryptmd5> was not vectorized"
during run-time compilation and they do not perform that well. Hopefully
this can be fixed. I really wonder why phpass is fine but not the
others. Anyway this is much more promising than I thought! And despite
bad performance, all formats do work fine, which means you can do some
testing or development on a machine lacking a hefty GPU card.

The SDK comes in RPM format from Intel but conversion to dpkg with alien
is trouble free. Here's an example:
http://mhr3.blogspot.com/2011/05/opencl-on-ubuntu.html

BTW Samuele, I got the same LWS enumeration problem when trying this...

magnum