Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 09:33:47 +0100
From: Samuele Giovanni Tonon <samu@...uxasylum.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Recent github patches

On 02/07/12 00:38, magnum wrote:
> * IPB2: OMP & intrinsics support, 3x or better.
> * Various OpenCL updates (mysql-sha1 was added).

i think this one need a brief explanation

- i added mysql-sha1, which is basically sha(sha(p)) ,
on my test i saw it going faster than on cpu. any test
is really appreciated

- on many format there are now two test function named
find_best_workgroup and find_best_kpc .
These two functions get the best gpu threads and the
best keys per crypt of your sistem.

find_best_workgroup is on by default you can make it run for your
preferred format and then suppress the test by doing
export LWS=num
be aware, best LWS changes from format to format .

find_best_kpc is off by default; you activate it by doing
export KPC=0 and, after the test you can suppress it
by doing export KPC=num .
if you don't export a KPC it will use max_keys_per_crypt.

be aware that kpc is highly dependant on the specification of
your hardware and the format you are using.

nsldaps, raw-md5, mysql-sha1 raw-sha1 now all support password
up to 31 lenght.

raw-md5 and nt have been modified to gain some speed.

raw-md4 at the moment is left out but it will back in the tree as
soon as some problems are fixed.

> The "magnum-jumbo" tree is now 120+ commits ahead of Jumbo-5: Perhaps
> it's time for a Jumbo-6?

i would appreciate if people could test opencl formats and report
strange behaviour or problems .

Cheers
Samuele