Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 06:47:43 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Adding a new format

magnum has already provided a good response (thanks!), so I'll only add
a few extra comments below:

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:10:38PM +0100, Claudio Broglia wrote:
> Here are a call dump from a single hash:
> nds_valid(): ciphertext=...

BTW, you don't need to include any name prefix on those functions -
instead, you may declare them "static" and just call them valid(), etc.

> - what are needed for the binary_hash() and get_hash() functions? From
> the testing phase, I supposed they were needed to speedup comparison,
> but they aren't used during the cracking phase.

They're only used when you load enough hashes (for a given salt, if
applicable) to reach a threshold (after which they're expected to be
faster than the cmp_all() approach).  See PASSWORD_HASH_THRESHOLD_0 in
params.h.

Alexander