Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 09:04:28 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: generic crypt [was: OpenCL support on OSX]

On 01/31/2012 10:24 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:16:23PM +0100, magnum wrote:
>> I'm not sure why we don't just include c3_fmt.o in the main object list
>> and wrap that whole source file in #ifdef HAVE_CRYPT. Solar?
>
> We could, but would this simplify anything?  We're adding extra object
> files in many Linux and Solaris targets anyway (well, not in all).

Nevermind. But speaking of crypt, I now noticed that FreeBSD et al do
not use c3_fmt. Is that because they would probably not give us any new
format? It could still be usable for verifying MD5's for longer than 15
chars, and such things. And they may introduce new stuff, just like
DragonFly BSD.

BTW it seems OSX do have a crypt(3) capable of original DES and the one
with _salt (From memory that's BSDI, right?). Would it not work with
HAVE_CRYPT? Not that it would add anything useful to John, except
showing how much faster optimised bitslice DES is compared to crypt calls :)

magnum