Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 15:47:22 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Unofficial Jumbo git repo

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 09:53:19PM +0100, magnum wrote:
> Simon finally got me to try out github. I now have a public repo
> available at https://github.com/magnumripper/magnum-jumbo.git containing
> my Jumbo branch.

Curiously, Metasploit also switched to GitHub recently:

https://community.rapid7.com/community/metasploit/blog/2011/11/10/git-while-the-gitting-is-good

There may actually be some extra exposure from using GitHub as compared
to setting up own git hosting.

So maybe we should just use GitHub for real.  This is not the same as
using external hosting for e.g. CVS, which I'd rather not do (if we were
to use CVS).  The design of git avoids many drawbacks of using
external/untrusted hosting.

BTW, http://openwall.info/wiki/john/patches currently gives this sample
command:

git clone https://github.com/magnumripper/magnum-jumbo

We may want to use git:// there instead.  My minimal build of git on Owl
(without libcurl) lacks support for http and https URLs, but this works
just fine:

git clone git://github.com/magnumripper/magnum-jumbo

Alexander