Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 01:27:49 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Making a thread safe implementation of bitslice DES

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 04:20:37PM -0500, Jordan Bradley wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> >
> > What character encoding would you want to use on input to JtR, such as
> > in wordlists?
>
> Considering that with 2chan style tripcodes, the unicode input is
> converted to shift-jis, using anything other than SJIS is pointless as
> far as tripcodes are concerned.

I asked about input to JtR.  If you're fine with having the input right
in the encoding needed for tripcodes, then I don't know what we're even
discussing now - there's no issue as-is.

Well, I think we may need to implement a Shift-JIS aware alternative to
incremental mode, maybe as an external mode or maybe built-in - because
not everything is reasonably crackable with a wordlist.

> > BTW, since DES-based crypt(3) uses 7-bit characters, some information
> > from those Shift-JIS characters is lost (or at least that's my current
> > understanding).  It is quite possible to find the corresponding
> > 7-bit-only strings instead.
>
> I remember reading that on the mailing list somewhere. That's what
> makes DES 56 bit correct?

Almost.  It's the other way around: the fact that DES uses 56-bit keys
is seen in this way (unless an algorithm on top of DES avoids this
limitation, like some do, but tripcode does not).

> Only the lowest 7 bits of the first 8 characters are used.

With traditional DES-based crypt(3) and tripcodes, yes.

Alexander