Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 01:12:57 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Making a thread safe implementation of bitslice DES

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 03:52:58PM -0500, Jordan Bradley wrote:
> It certainly would be beneficial to build upon JtR however I'm not sure
> if I can since tripcodes also use characters from the Shift-JIS
> character map.

I took a look at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripcode
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_JIS

and I see no problem with this.  In fact, it looks like this kind of
conversion may even be implemented as an external filter() in john.conf
right now (relatively slow, but optional and easy to adjust) - or we may
hard-code it in JtR (maybe exporting an option to toggle it if needed).

What character encoding would you want to use on input to JtR, such as
in wordlists?

BTW, since DES-based crypt(3) uses 7-bit characters, some information
from those Shift-JIS characters is lost (or at least that's my current
understanding).  It is quite possible to find the corresponding
7-bit-only strings instead.

Alexander