Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 00:04:15 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Making a thread safe implementation of bitslice DES

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 02:34:46PM -0500, Jordan Bradley wrote:
> I'm writing a distributed tripcode cracking program.

Here's what I just found:

https://github.com/crypt3lx2k/BitRipper/blob/master/src/bitripper.c

This attempts to reuse JtR's bitslice DES code for a tripcode cracker,
but it looks unfinished to me.  It doesn't ignore the DES block bits
that come from the 3rd crypt(3) output character, so should fail for 63
out of 64 tripcodes, unless I missed something.  There may be other
issues as well.

BTW, I was not aware of this implementation when working on my
trip_fmt.c revision a couple of days ago.

Here's another one also reusing bitslice DES code from JtR (older):

http://tmkk.pv.land.to/tripper/index_e.html

I was aware of this one, but did not look at it when working on my
implementation.  I don't even know if this one allows for the tested
passwords to be arbitrary (like coming from a wordlist) or not.

Alexander