Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 16:46:25 -0600
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: building john.c with -O0

Without this, I get cores on cygwin. I get no call stack in the cores, and
was not able to diagnose it.

If john is built with proper -O2 and ONLY john.o is built with -O0, then all
of the important parts are properly optimized, john.c does nothing but call
initialization code, and then jump to whatever real run() loop code is
supposed to be done.

I would have rather handled this within cygwin build rules, but at the time
could not think how.  Now, thinking about it, I think we could do a
john_O0.o rule and make it do the same as john.o but simply tack on the
-O0.  Then, only cyg rules could include that object, instead of john.o

Jim.