Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 16:57:55 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 1.7.9's --external + OpenMP fails on Cygwin

Hi,

I've just released a new official build of John the Ripper 1.7.9 for
Windows.  It replaced the ancient build of version 1.7.0.1 here:

http://www.openwall.com/john/

Please help me test it.  I did not do anything about the issue below -
that is, it should be present in this build, unfortunately - except
that the main john.exe is not OpenMP-enabled, whereas the
OpenMP-enabled build is called john-omp.exe.  However, I did not
reproduce the issue on more than one system (I only tried on one), so
I'd appreciate any confirmation that the issue is indeed reproducible on
other Windows systems as well.

I intend to announce this build properly shortly, so I'd appreciate
having some test results very soon.  If there turns out to be something
very wrong with this build (worse than what I wrote below), then I might
have to correct it and re-release.

Thanks,

Alexander