Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 20:09:21 +0530
From: piyush mittal <piyush.cse29@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Bit slice implementation of DES based hashes

> This is a subset of them.  There are several more.  Here they are, by
> filename in 1.7.8-jumbo-8 (including the above):
>
> AFS_fmt.c
> KRB4_fmt_plug.c
> KRB5_fmt_plug.c
> MSCHAPv2_fmt_plug.c
> NETLM_fmt_plug.c
> NETNTLM_fmt_plug.c
> NETSPLITLM_fmt_plug.c
> oracle_fmt_plug.c
> trip_fmt_plug.c
>
> Of these, AFS_fmt.c and trip_fmt_plug.c currently use John the Ripper's
> own non-bitslice DES code, whereas the rest use OpenSSL's.

Ok.Actually i was searching based on their label only.But all of them that
you mentioned above are using openssl/des header files(i.e based on DES).

What's your reason to start with this one?  Is this arbitrary choice?

> For optimal performance, trip_fmt_plug.c and AFS_fmt.c would need to
> buffer larger numbers of candidate passwords (way beyond DES_BS_DEPTH
> per thread) and group them by certain criteria.  For the rest, this is
> probably not needed.

Yes that was my arbitrary choice.And today learn a lot about trip codes.If
above mentioned complexities are there in this format.I will do it later.

MSCHAPv2_fmt_plug.c
> NETLM_fmt_plug.c
> NETNTLM_fmt_plug.c
> NETSPLITLM_fmt_plug.c
> oracle_fmt_plug.c

To work on Oracle hashes will be more interesting so i am going to start
with it.But i need a proper algo about how hashes are designed in it using
DES because just following directly code is bit complicated for me.I just
got this information.

Up to 30 characters long. All characters will be converted to uppercase
> before the hashing starts
> 8-byte hash, encrypted with a DES encryption algorithm without real salt
> (just the username).

Thanking you.

--
Piyush Mittal