Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 02:21:04 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 1.7.9-jumbo

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 01:36:56AM +0100, magnum wrote:
> - I don't even know what "undrop" is for,

It's a tool to convert Eggdrop userfiles to a format that John can read.
BTW, this needs to be added to the documentation.

> but it looks like it was lost from main() during rebasing.

It needs to be re-introduced if so.

> - Shouldn't targets like linux-x86-64 have this?
>
> 	CFLAGS_MAIN="$(CFLAGS) -DHAVE_CRYPT" \
>
> If not, john.c will be compiled without HAVE_CRYPT, no? This applies
> even to core John. But I may misunderstand the whole thing.

Luckily, no, this is not needed.  This line:

CFLAGS_MAIN = $(CFLAGS)

takes effect in the sub-make as well, as long as CFLAGS_MAIN is not
explicitly overridden in the sub-make invocation.

Thank you for your review and for expressing this concern!  For a moment
I thought that this was actually a problem, so I tested for it - but
ended up finding out that everything is fine.  Now I recall that I
actually watched the line for john.c during my test builds when I added
this functionality.  If -DHAVE_CRYPT were missing from it, I would
likely notice.

Alexander