Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 19:54:03 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenMP for MD5-crypt

2011-11-22 00:52, Solar Designer wrote:
> Thank you for working on this.  I am not looking into it yet; I think
> I'll get a few other changes into the main tree instead, leaving the
> -jumbo rebase for you. ;-)

Problem solved. I presume for single thread dynamic_fmt use in an OMP
build, calling MD5_body_for_thread() with a permanent t==0 makes sense
(it seems to). Obviously, I also had to change the various MD5_body's in
MD5_std.c to non-static.

> Meanwhile, I'd appreciate some testing of 1.7.8.8, without a rebase of
> -jumbo yet.

> There's 1.7.8.9 now:
>
> http://www.openwall.com/pvt/john-1.7.8.9.tar.gz

Both of them (as well as CVS-Jumbo now) pass Test Suite for all builds I
can produce on Linux/intel. I wont test other archs right now.

I also played around a little with --make-charset and incremental. It
seems to be forward and backward compatible with 1.7.8 as well as j5c4
(when compiled with their respective parameters). Seems to work like a
champ. I'm surprised inc.c was not touched at all.

You're not going to ship it with 0x7f and length 8, are you? My vote
would be 0x20..0xff and length 16 even though the supplied charset files
would not have to utilise that fully. Would this have downsides? It
would be a FAQ killer for sure. Most of my testing with j5c4 tree was
with those parameters, with good results.

magnum