Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 10:27:05 -0600
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: post 1.7.8-jumbo-7 changes summary

>From reading the changes listed on the patches page, here is a trimmed down
list of changes I see, that I think are relative to mention.  The last line
(the "many bug fixes, ....") catches a lot of the changes.  There may be
some of them large enough that Magnum feels they need a user notification
mention.  There are some new john.conf option values.  We may want to list
those, and the 'new' behavior they deal with.

Crc32 format.
Added BF subformat to generic crypt
Changed 'md5_gen' format into dynamic.
Non-exact password checking. WinZip, Crc32 or other formats which have
multiple possible finds, or in which john does not properly fully test
candidate finds.
Optionally emit a status line at every cracked password
Show number of candidates tried in status line.
Added option for changing min/max keys per crypt to 1 or something lower
than default.
Added OMP support for Crypt-MD5 for intrinsics builds
Added a linux-x86-64i target that uses an sse-intrinsics.S pre-compiled with
icc.
Unification of output format, and ability to read any form valid input
format, for dynamic format, or any thin format using dynamic.
Use SSE2 intrinsic code for raw-md4.
Many bug fixes, usability fixes, and enhancements.  Several new build rules,
build fixes, many utf8/Unicode fixes/enhancements.