Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 11:49:55 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: OpenMP for MD5-crypt (was: new DES key setup)

magnum -

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 11:45:46AM +0200, magnum wrote:
> OMP for crypt-MD5 would rock too. I have tried a couple of times but
> it's too complicated for me. Perhaps it's no walk in the park even for
> you :-)

Actually, I am tempted to do it for the slower code currently in the
main tree, but then I am worried that it'd make integration of faster
SIMD-enabled code trickier.  Yet I might do it.  It'd be very nice to
say that a certain JtR release supports parallelization of _all_ crypt(3)
hashes that it supports at all, as well as of those that it only
supports through c3_fmt.c (so it will be all in that sense, in fact).
That would be good for marketing, even if -jumbo's intrinsics code
performs better. ;-)

If I do it, can I count on you for rebasing -jumbo on that updated main
tree (not necessarily introducing similar parallelization for its code,
but merely making it work like it does now)?

Thanks,

Alexander