Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 12:01:58 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: new DES key setup

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 08:47:13AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> The next step would be integrating OpenMP for DES in one official way,
> getting rid of the -omp-des-4 vs. -omp-des-7 patches.

So I did that.  I'd appreciate it if folks in here test the current
stuff (do a CVS checkout or take native.tar.gz from Owl-current) and
report any issues (or lack thereof).  To be specific, I am referring to
code with JtR version number set to 1.7.8.4.

The new code is supposed to be as good as either of the old patches, for
both many salts and one/few salts.  There are some other improvements as
well - e.g., "single crack" with OpenMP should behave better than it did
with the patches, status updates during cracking of BSDI-style hashes
should no longer be delayed much, and there's no longer a dependency on
OpenMP 3+.  The new code should also compile with an OpenMP 2.5 only
compiler, which in GCC terms means version 4.2+ should do, not 4.4+,
which was required for the patches.  (But I only tested with 4.5.0 so far.)

CVS checkout instructions:
http://www.openwall.com/Owl/DOWNLOAD.shtml

Alexander