Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 18:39:06 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: j5c4 incremental vs MPI (was: Fork=n)

Solar,

On 2011-09-23 03:42, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 10:18:33PM +0200, magnum wrote:
>> BTW I have seen an MPI problem with j5c4 (neither using -fork nor -node,
>> just -inc mode under MPI) but I've had no time to look into it. I got
>> "Unexpected count: x != y" error.
>
> Obviously, I re-worked the MPI code in inc.c while adding --node, and I
> never tested the effect of my changes on MPI (we didn't intend to use
> MPI in the contest, and I think we didn't use it).  Someone reported
> that MPI worked for him anyway (after the contest), but that might not
> be reliable info.

The problem I mentioned was most likely introduced by myself (I must
have applied the recent MPI bugfix, which is not valid for that code) -
everything seems to be OK. If you intend to base the future incremental
code on this, I could do a little bit of systematic MPI testing for good
measure.

magnum