Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 21:03:59 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Emit a status line at every cracked password

On 2011-09-25 18:52, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 07:07:50PM +0200, magnum wrote:
>> When playing with the CRC-32 format I got this idea that I wanted a
>> status line output automagically at every crack. Very trivial patch. I
>> named the argument --crack-status so it doesn't mess with any old
>> abbreviation.
>
> Shouldn't this be a john.conf setting instead?

It could be a john.conf setting as well, but personally I'd prefer the
command line option. For uses other than testing things, I would
probably rather use the log file.

> Oh, or we could introduce a new external mode function that is only
> invoked on a successful guess.  So we'd do:
>
> void on_guess()
> {
> 	status = 1;
> }
>
> and it would have no performance impact.

This would be very useful as it can also be used to exit as soon as we
found *any* password (particularly useful for crc-32, which otherwise
wont stop until completing the cracking mode). Actually I think we
should implement this and ditch the patch I posted. But then I'm not
sure how to do with the following:

> Another reasonable thing could be to print status on guesses, but only
> if at least one second elapsed since the previous status line printed.
> We could even have this enabled by default - or maybe make it the only
> new behavior?

Perhaps this rate limit could be implemented in status.c - affecting any
kind of trigger? We just need to take care not to mute the status line
printed on completion or when a job is aborted.

magnum