Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 22:16:47 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Fork=n

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 9:34 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
>> An of course you could apply
>> all the other augments too (format,rules,chr...)
>
> Actually, as implemented for the contest, --fork and --node only worked
> right either with --rules or with incremental mode.  They were not
> supported for plain wordlist mode (without rules), although this was not
> explicitly detected as an error (another reason not to release this hack).
I assumed it worked for more, but as it turns out I only tried those modes
so I assumed wrong :)

>> The issue was that not all the threads
>> (if that's the right word) were updating the Pot file unless a sighup was
>> sent, or the cracking ended, even then I don't think it wrote all the ones
>> it cracked, at least not on win32.
>
> That's one of many issues, not the only one, and this one was only
> reported by you - I've never seen it.  So I think it was in fact
> platform specific.
Actually I didn't even notice until you did: (contest thread)
On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
 With --fork, it turns out that john.pot is not updated on its own, at
 least not by child processes.  You have to "killall -1 john" to get it
 updated, or interrupt john (but then you can't easily restore).  I am
 using the "killall -1 john" approach before I take john.pot's for
 uploads to the contest server now.
---
In Cygwin, killing the parent process didn't affect the children, and
killing them did not (does not) update the pot files, but I think *nux
has a better process terminator and win32 does. I'd be happy to
test this feature again in the future.
-rich