Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 00:40:04 -0400
From: David Jones <jonesd@...umbus.rr.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: David Jones <jonesd@...umbus.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Patch for dynamically loaded formats

On Sep 20, 2011, at 1:05 PM, Solar Designer wrote:

> David,
>
> For -jumbo-6, I am trying to get your dynamic plugins stuff in, but not
> any of the VMS stuff yet.  Does this make sense?

That would be great.

> I introduced -DHAVE_DL and -ldl into all linux-* targets (for now), and
> I have "#ifdef HAVE_DL" in many places in the code.

OK, I didn't think that many places in the code would be affected, I'll have to look at the diffs.

> Apparently, you did not actually test the patch against -jumbo, since
> register_dlls() would fail on its "bug check".  In -jumbo, when it is
> invoked with no options, john_register_all() is first called before
> parsing of command-line options, and thus before the list of DLLs is
> initialized.  I added an "if (options.fmt_dlls)" before the call.

I tested it against -jumbo, I was just blind to the case of argc < 2.  Running john without either giving it a file or doing ---test or --restore didn't seem very useful.  My test linux builds didn't include -jumbo because I don't have OpenSSL loaded on that installation.

> Any comments?

I was thinking about the case-senstive/case-insensitive issue with the OpenVMS format and considered modifying the semantics of the FMT_LOADER() function so the return value points to a list (i.e. chain of fmt_main structs) rather than just a single fmt_main struct (the provider of the DLL has to guarantee member next is initialized).  Register_dlls() would have to disassemble the list is a way that it could then safely feed each block to register_one() for placement on the global list.

How does john deal with input files with different lines that need to be processed by different formats?