Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 17:13:43 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: 1.7.8.Jumbo-1

I posted 0010  (the 2nd patch, which properly had 0009 done).  That is not
the final fix, but at least gets md5_gen(29) working as good as raw-md5u.

I have started down the path of having the number of Unicode chars in the
password.  However, where the Unicode string is 'build' is in
__append_string. That function has NO idea what string is being appended.

Thus, it could be __append_string(pass),  or __append_string(const1), etc.
So a format may have to keep 'original' sizes for more things, and some how
pass them in.  Things are getting uglier, and it is looking more like I
might 'have' to continually monitor length of all sub building.  IIRC, that
can be up to a 20% hit, or more, depending upon how many string ops there
are.

I will sleep on this one for a bit, and hopefully the solution will 'pop'
into my head.

Jim.