Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 17:16:32 +0200
From: Pablo Fernandez <pfernandez@....org>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: integer limit reached

Dear devels,

I am working on a block-based external filter:

[List.External:Block]

int min, max;                                // Search margins
int min_secure, max_secure;             // Security margins (to avoid losing
passwords)
int number;                             // Current word number

void init()
{
        min = $MIN;
        max = $MAX;
        number = 0;
        min_secure = min - 2;           // To compensate the first auto-
increment,
        max_secure = max + 1;          //  And also a bit more on the edge
}

void filter()
{
        if (number++ < min_secure) { word = 0; return; }  // Advance until the
first word
        if (number > max_secure)  {event_pending = event_abort = 1;}  //
Return
}

Those $MIN and $MAX are written by an external script.

The problem I found is that, with big numbers, I hit the maximum integer:
[MIN=5080000000]
[MAX=5120000000]
Unpacking runtime
Starting john
Compiler error in ./john.conf at line 1263: Integer constant out of range
[RUNTIME=0]

Then I went to the compiler.c code and I saw it only supports integers. Have I
just hit a brick wall? In my first try I was working with MD5, but this would
be much worse for DES.

Is there any plan to support bigint, for example? Or is there any workaround?

Does actually John work internally with numbers bigger than 32 bit integers?
In fact I am working with a 64 bit machine, is it possible to change the
integer size on John's compile time?

Thanks!
Pablo