Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 11:45:38 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Faster (and better) duplicate rule removal code

I have added a patch to the wiki (0002 for Jumbo-6-rc2), which improves the
rules reduction code significantly.  The older reduction code was a O(n^2)
that I quickly had hacked together.  The new version, uses a hash list, and
should operate in O(n) time.  Also, I added logic into the rules_reject()
function to handle rpp codes in the 'rule-rejection' elimination part.
Before, something like -c or -: worked fine, but -[c:] would cause the
rules_reject() to return NULL.  That has been fixed.

The current rule-duplicate removal code is far from perfect.  It will miss
removing dupes, such as   Az"123"  and Az.123.   Or miss, $1 and Az"1"
There are likely others.  However, it DOES remove a lot of duplication,
which is actually expected, when you start to include other sections, to
build 'super' sections.

As for a 'dupe', Solar, what is the difference, in reality from Al"123" and
Az"123"  ?   (the lower cased L)  They seem to be somewhat interchangeable.
If used with the Ax"val", val is always appended to the current building
word.  Is there 'any' difference?

Jim.

Content of type "text/html" skipped