Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 22:34:25 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: .include "other_rule_group"  (a wish list item)

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 08:08:46PM -0500, JimF wrote:
> >Am I right when think that it is like to run John with the first rule
> >and then to run John with the second rule (that would be pulled in)?
>
> The way I have implented this, it is rule1 + rule2  (appended).
> Actually, another rule set can be inserted at any location within
> another rule.  So you could have 3 or 4 rules, then an include of
> another rule set, then still have 15 other rules following.

Thanks for explanation. I missed that it could be useful to mix rules.

> So if this is what you had:
>
> [List.Rules:RulesA]
> .include "RulesB"
>
> [List.Rules:RulesB]
>
> You would end up with these rules:

Hm, I see it as:
[List.Rules:RulesA1]

[List.Rules:RulesA2]

So result is RulesA1 + RulesB + RulesA2. It is a bit less comfortable
but only a bit as I think because we need to change john.conf in any
case. However it could be generalized to selectors for rules. I
mean a way to take part of rule, something like:
RulesA[0:2] + RulesB + RulesA[2:4]
or may be something more perlish with flexible slices
RulesC[0..5, 9] + RulesD[1, 3, 5]

> I would propose that we implement the append, using the #include
> syntax I have started.  Then add something like:

Personally I do not see better solution. What I wrote above is not
against your proposal.

> 2. Elimination of dupe rules.
> 3. Reduction of rules, simple reduction, and possibly more complex
> reduction.
> 4. Optimization of rules.  Note, if 3 and 4 are done, then
> elimination should likely be done after doing those 2.

I think Frank Dittrich touched it on john-contest list.
Subject of that thread was:
Ideas to enhance John - automatically detecting effective mangling rules

Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov