Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 13:03:14 -0400
From: David Jones <jonesd@...umbus.rr.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: David Jones <jonesd@...umbus.rr.com>
Subject: Re: #include "john.conf2"  (a wish list item)

On Aug 27, 2011, at 10:20 AM, Solar Designer wrote:

> I am not sure whether we want these directives to look like comments at
> all or maybe not.  What are our reasons to make them comment-like?  Just
> that it's the way it's done in the C preprocessor?  OK, I identified one
> more reason - not introducing a new character that may sometimes need to
> be escaped

The idea comes from server side includes on web servers, where the SSI directives are embedded in HTML comments but are flagged by a # being the first character.  I didn't suggest just ## because I could see the case where that is legitimate comment style (i.e. header blocks).

I think ideally you'd want a syntax aborts JtR with an error if encountered by an old version, since it likely will do the wrong think if an include isn't performed.