Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 09:05:53 +0200
From: Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Lukas's Status Report - #15 of 15

2011/8/25 Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>:
> Lukas -
>
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 10:02:42PM +0200, Lukas Odzioba wrote:
>> I've uploaded mscash2cuda-0 to wiki.
>
> In addition to my previous message:
>
> I've just tried this on hashes-all.txt-1.mscash2-uncracked from the
> contest - and no hashes are loaded with "--format=mscash2cuda".
> Looking at the code, I see that you need to adjust valid() and add
> split() in order to load hashes formatted in that way as well.

Thanks! I'll take care of that.

> The iteration count is fixed at 10240.  In -jumbo's mscash2_fmt_plug.c,
> this is now configurable and optionally encoded with the hashes.  Maybe
> you need to support that as well, unless doing so would have performance
> impact (quite possibly it would if the loop gets unrolled).  This is not
> terribly important as I think we have not actually seen MSCash2 hashes
> with non-default iteration count yet.
No it won't have any performance impact. Main loop is not unrolled,
because code would be too large. I was aware of configurable iteration
count in jumbo but personally I think it's against YAGNI principle,
but I can add it for consistency.

> In the Makefile, it'd be nice to have this commented-out line for Yellow
> Dog Linux (in all of your CUDA patches):
>
> #CUDA64PATH = /usr/lib64/cuda32
>
> I think the mscash2 stuff should get into the next revision of allcuda.

Good idea. I'll add path to 32 and 64bit libs in YD.
I agree, that was my intention.

Lukas