Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 23:13:20 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: vowels/consonants

On 2011-08-16 21:49, RB wrote:
> 2011/8/16 magnum<rawsmooth@...dband.net>:
>> Maybe I'll change it to be
>> treated as a vowel when a codepage is loaded. Actually I think we could set
>> it to be treated as both.
>
> Peanut gallery comment here, but the code path and error potential for
> treating "fuzzy" vowels differently based on codepage may not be a
> sufficient tradeoff for the speed gain.  My off-the-cuff guess is that
> just placing dual-use letters in both lists may not be perfectly
> accurate but could save a lot of unnecessary complexity.

Yeah that's what I thought too. I'll place y as both vowel and consonant
if any --encoding is used, but I won't change the "default" behavior
unless Solar says so. In all our Unicode and encodings work, the first
design goal is to not change John's behaviour unless user says so (and
second is to not hit performance).

Note that the "default" (ie. no --enc argument given) is not iso-8859-1
except for Unicode conversions. The default is to behave just like John
always did: Only treat a-z as characters etc. If you really want full
character classes and case-shifting support, you need to specifically
say --enc=iso-8859-1 (or shorter --enc=ansi).

magnum