Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 21:35:44 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: 45% wordlist boost just waiting to happen

These lines in wordlist.c always nagged me:

   #if 0 && ARCH_ALLOWS_UNALIGNED
   /* XXX: somehow this breaks things - why? */
           line = words[nCurLine++];
   #else
           strcpy(line, words[nCurLine++]);
   #endif

Today I finally tried removing that "0 && " road block and this made for
a stunning 45% boost running a wordlist + rules against LM. I see no
problems.

So... who did that? Just what "things" did it break? Could we perhaps
use some clever macro instead, enabling this for systems that doesn't
have problems?

magnum